alien laptops

Feel free to talk about anything here.
astokes

Hello i was looking to maybe get a new laptop. it may not be for a few months but i was looking at this one. if anyone has some info on these plz post..

[1] Area-51m 7700

Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 541 Desktop Processor w/ HT Technology 3.2GHz 800MHz FSB 1MB
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2
Warranty: 90-Day AlienCare Toll-Free 24/7 Phone Support
LCD Display: 17" WideSXGA+ 1680 x 1050 LCD Clearview Display with Built-in Camera
Motherboard: Intel® 915P PCI-Express Chipset
Memory: 512MB DDR2 SO-DIMM at 533MHz - 1 x 512MB
Video Card: Area-51m 7700 NVIDIA GeForce™ Go 6800 Ultra with 256MB of DDR3 memory
Hard Drive: Extreme Performance - RAID 0 - 120GB (60GB x 2) 5400 RPM ATA100
Primary CD ROM/DVD ROM: 24x10x24 CD-RW / 8X DVD Combo w/Software MPEG2 Decoder
Sound Card: Intel® High-Definition Audio (24-bit, 192Khz) with 7.1 surround sound
Primary Battery: Alienware® 7700 series 12-cell Lithium-Ion Smart Battery Pack
Additional Battery: Alienware® 7700 series 12-cell Lithium-Ion Smart Battery Pack
Communications: Integrated 10/1000Mb Gigabit Ethernet & 56K V.92 Modem
Floppy Drive: USB Floppy Drive
Mobile Power: Belkin® AC Anywhere 300W
Alienware Exclusive Offers: Gamespot Complete - Free 90-day Trial (a $20.85 value)
Alienware Exclusive Offers: 10% off your next EB Games online purchase
Free Alienware T-Shirt: Free Alienware® T-Shirt - Black
Desktop Enhancements: Exclusive AlienGUIse Theme Manager
Free Alienware Mousepad: Free Alienware® Mousepad[/code]

i was looking at dell but i made a dell laptop that i would like to have it was over 4k and this one is like 10x better than the dell and 2k less :/
jester

laptops are sketchy but that one looks alright.

i mean nothing really wrong with it... not bad.
ccc726040
Advanced Botter

Although this does look sexy, there are a few things you could change. One of the more important one in my opinion would be adding WiFi to the unit. I didn't see it in the specs and for the uses that I personally as well as the majority of my friends have, WiFi is a must. Also, I noted that you had the 160Gb of hdd space and all which also great but one of the har drives can be pulled and replaced with another bay until. I dont know how important another different drive to you is but I really could see some potential with a PCM card slot or even a multi card reader/writer slot. These are of course USB attatchable and all so it doesnt really matter either way. I am just making comparison to my Sager laptop. I had the option for the dual Hdd or an extra optival drive. Looking on it though, another optical drive wasnt needed so I too went with the second hard drive.
Last edited by ccc726040 on Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
astokes

hmm i want it know.. but broke have to wait for a few months :/ because i have to finsh high school (Yeah high school it sucks) then i am moving from ohio to Denver CO so by then i still do not know if i will have any money cuz i will be on my own so lol.,.. but i am getting this
ccc726040
Advanced Botter

Okay...So I just noticed how many errors there are in my post in relation to spelling. I really think that I need to sleep more often and post less while tired. However, during the time that it took for me to post this, I could have just gone back and fixed the errors...I'm going to bed.
astokes

i have a few questions what does WiFi do? whats is it for well i know its for netwroking and stuff but why do i need it?
evildr
!MAXIMUM RANK!

Yeah WiFi is your wireless network card. What it will allow you to do is to log into any wireless network within it's internal antenna's range. Provided of course that either you have access rights to the network(usually username and password) or that the network is unsecured. The two primary nonmalicious benefits of this is that if lanning or running your internet connection through a wireless router you can access either one without running cables or being in close proximity to the router/switch. The Second benefit is that if you are in range of someone's wireless network your WiFi card will detect it and if it is unsecured you can go online through their internet connection and borrow bandwidth (not worth it unless they have broadband connection though).

As a result of those benefits you're able to log on at "hot spots" such as starbucks and other locations that you pay to access their wireless network broadband.

If your going to college it is a big benefit because most college's have specific areas, if not campus wide, with free T line internet access for students through the wireless network.
astokes

ok thanks.. i am think about making a new system hmm still dont know. becuse its cheaper to make a new kick ass system than buying a laptop. still thinking
evildr
!MAXIMUM RANK!

:blingsmile: I build all my own desktop systems cause you can get top performance for less then the cost of a run of the mill prefab. But unless you really know what you're doing I would not try to mess arround with building/modifying laptops, they're a pain to work on.
astokes

o yeah i know i was not going to make a laptop i was talking about building a desktop
ccc726040
Advanced Botter

Every PC I own I have built myself. I too have found that building your own PC come out cheaper with higher performance than the retail setups. As for the laptops, yeah, I tried to build one one time...Sadly it resulted in me slipping while mounting the screen to the housing. The end result was an awesome laptop with no display....Now it sits near the window where it leeches all the bandiwdith it needs from my neighbor to download some of the more illegal stuff...I mean..."borrow" the bandwidth to um...look for "free" stuff.
astokes

yeah i always wanted to take a laptop apart. and try and put it back together. but cant find anyone that will let me try lol
ccc726040
Advanced Botter

hahaha Thats funny
Jelia
Pro Botter

yes alien PC good for gaming but are WAY OVERPRICED for the crap you are getting.
you can get laptops just as good from other brands for no more then $1400 when alien sells them for $2000-$4000

and remeber u can play the game for like 30 mins on a system like that until battery dies that is so crap,
Cooleko
Mod in Training

my friend purchased the BEST alienware laptop this summer, and actually just joins burners groupies club, but he has had nothing but problems wth it. I really wanted to get one of them, but i instead purchased a really nice HP ZD8000, and i love it, no problems. So my opinion of Alienware really sucks right now

Return to “Lounge”