What if Gil was Income Taxed by the US Goverment

Feel free to talk about anything here.
Jelia
Pro Botter

Look at this article
https://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/devlin/4936

this is so funny congress thinks he can profit from online gil revenues.
if a law is made , this site and all US players will pay taxes on gil and bots LOL
Hammy025
Site Admin

Wow, good article. I'm not very familiar with SL, but it looks interesting. But I don't see the fed taxing in-game trades/sales for a couple of reasons. One, it would be very difficult to put monetary dollars on gil and digital items in FFXI. Two, I'm pretty sure that SE owns everything in game anyway. It's all on their servers and they can take it all away at their discretion (as they have proven all too often).

I can see them taxing RMT's though (if they don't already, I've never bought). In fact, legally, gil sellers (in the US) are obligated to report any income to the fed. They could start charging sales tax as well. But if they start doing that with gil, they have to do it with all inter-state commerce.

I think the bigger issue is that these games are world-wide. If the US fed starts sticking their nose into it, in game economies could take a dive. But like I said, I really don't know that much about SL and how real money gets exchanged. :retarded:

Return to “Lounge”