Windows 7 + Nvidia Issue

Post anything FFXI releated in here.
Hammy025
Site Admin

Just wondering if anyone's seen this kind of behavior. This is my first experience with Win7. I can run FFXI, but the game freezes for a split second (maybe 1/10th of a second) about once a second or a little more. It makes playing very difficult. And considering on my last laptop I could play 5 FFXI's at once while I worked and this one I can't do 1, it's unacceptable. The specs:

Windows 7 x64 Enterprise SP1
Intel Core i7 Q720 @ 1.60GHz
4GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 880M graphics card
Driver version 8.17.12.7061 from 4/7/11
(I installed the latest from nvidia a couple days ago)
DirectX 11

Any help would be appreciated. I'll read up on the Windower site when I have time, but I wanted to get Iocaine working again first. So if you wanna help get Iocaine going, you could research this problem on the windower site for me :-)
ReyRey
L33t Botter

try going back a few on your driver, go to the manufactures site and download the late version they have. i noticed i cant run the newest nvidia drives either i had to use the ones that MSI uses.
also was a scanner runing or auto update from microsoft those cause issues to the game too.....

or nvm look at me who used to use computers like a toaster 2 years ago trying to offer advice to a computer programer [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/PDT_09.gif" alt="/retarded" title="Retarded" />
Hammy025
Site Admin

lol I'll see what older drivers I can find. I also had the same issue when I first got the laptop and it had the original Microsoft drivers from 2 years ago on it, so I'm a little worried that a driver won't fix it. But I'll certainly try. Thanks Reyrey.
Hammy025
Site Admin

Well it's not totally solved, there's still a little stutter, but it's playable. And I'm able to run 5 instances at low resolutions like I used to do on my old system, so I'm good. I tried 15 different drivers, various graphics settings, and played with everything in the bios that I thought might make a difference. In the end, I had to turn off the Intel speed stepping to get it to run right. Turning off the hyperthreading or multi-core capability took out the stutter completely, but that's not really an option since it takes my new i7 from 8 cores down to 1.

For anyone else looking to solve this issue, here's the best thread I found on the windower site (I had to be logged in to see it).
https://forums.windower.net/topic/11938- ... s-stutter/
ibot4fun
Helpfull Botter

Took me years to figure this out.

if your using wifi connection then you need to bridge your WIFI NIC with your local lan NIC card.

NOTE: If you reboot with the NIC bridged you'll need to remove the bridge, delete the bridging device it creates and re-bridge. (don't ask me why but it's the only way i can get it to work again). Also when you bridge your NIC icon will look disconnected but have no fear, test google.com it will work. and so will the game with no studder. Enjoy.

P.S.
You don't have to turn off hyper threading. You can start pol and assign it a core to use. assign different cores to different instances of pol and you accomplish the same thing (however that did not fix my studder. the above did).
Hammy025
Site Admin

ibot4fun wrote:You don't have to turn off hyper threading. You can start pol and assign it a core to use. assign different cores to different instances of pol and you accomplish the same thing (however that did not fix my studder. the above did).
I tried doing this and it didn't work in my case. And I wasn't always wireless, but I did try both with the same result.

But thanks for the post. Hopefully it'll help someone else that's having the issue.
ReyRey
L33t Botter

hmm have you tried using a different graphics card just to see if it makes a difference. i run 2 460 gtx Nvida in SLI mode and N force 980/780a SLI set on hybrid mode with 512 memory set aside for it, with the processors/cores set to full unleashed. windows 7, 8 GB ram i'm currently running version 296.10 Nvida driver i haven't been getting any shudder with it but i do get it if i try using the 301.42 driver << most current. I've read the windower forum wow 4 pages worth /Confused

anyway cant hurt to see if a different card makes a difference. maybe 11 just hates quadro cards /:P
Hammy025
Site Admin

It's a laptop, so I don't have extra cards laying around. And I don't even have any active accounts right now anyway lol. But thanks. I'm sure you're right, changing the card would probably have results.

Return to “FFXI General Chat”