Bandwidth Controller? if there is such a thing

Feel free to talk about anything here.
tonynlo
Pro Botter

Currently I have 2 PC's as well as an Xbox 360 hooked up to "MY" router and my room mates are driving me crazy downloading 25 songs at once. The lag is unbelievable, and I was wondering if there was some way to make my connection faster than the other 2 connections. Currently using a cable connection because DSL sucks in my area.

Also I was wondering if anyone has come up with optimized settings for FFXI so that the game still looks nice but doesnt lag out. If needed I will post computer specs when I get off work.
whopper
Pro Botter

yes you can usaly can set the download and up load limits on the programs hes using to download you want to set it to 75% of the max upload speed of your connection and 80% of your max download speed that way you will have plently of bandwith the play ffxi since its made to run on a 56k connection. you can also on most programs limit the number of uploads and download files that can run at one time. and as far as lagging out most of the times its the upload pipe is over loaded. i can tell you where to change the settings if you give me the program he uses. also kick everything but 1 pc of the network and do a speed test and post the numbers and ill give you the max up and download speeds if the program dont have a % function
Jinzoh
Programmer

i use Turbo- Download them all downloading thingy for firefox. Downloads at max speed but constantly changes DL speed and doesn't kill other programs bandwidth. like can still use internet just fine
burners
Site Admin

if your router is a good one then yes you can select which ip address's have limited bandwidth without ever having to touch their computers

btw dsl sucks in any area unless u got $300+ a month to drop on the bill
tonynlo
Pro Botter

I have a Linksys speedbooster wireless router that I can not even use the wireless because they kill my connection. Any suggestions on a new router? And woud a new NIC make a difference?

Return to “Lounge”