Windows Vista

Post anything FFXI releated in here.
Deatheye
Advanced Botter

Anyone knows if Playonline and FFXI are running under Vista? and if so, what about burners tools?
Ravenal
Botter on the rise

I tested to install ffxi on Vista version i got but no joy tells you that it dont like the OS so i guess we need to wait for SE/POL thier side unless this new update has sorted it maybe?
burners
Site Admin

search the forums cause someone figured out how to do it. I read the post but cant remember where it is.
Deatheye
Advanced Botter

I searched for the word "Vista" before I posted this. Didn't see anything relatet to this Problem. Only Vista styles for XP xD
burners
Site Admin

yeah I cant seem to find it either.

Basically what it said to do was do a complete install on xp then backup all files to a dvd or whatever then install on vista and copy the files over.

something like that.

I wonder where that tread went now lol
Deatheye
Advanced Botter

Well ok. Thats easy, I'm allready doing that on XP so that I dont need to load all the updates. But I don't really see the logic behind it... That meens the installation works...? So there shoudn't be any Problem and it should run with a normal installation? Ir thoes it have Problems to put the Files into the Programm folder any you need to do that manuellay? Woul'dnt that then also mean that the updates don't work?
Looks like I first need to make a double boot system and test that out^^'

At the moment my gaming PC is broken anyway so that will propably take a while... no money to buy new hardware and not sure whats broken...
burners
Site Admin

well I dont run vista so I dunno, no point until some dx10 games come out.

Anywho whats wrong with the ol' baige box?
Maybe I can help u get it back on track
Deatheye
Advanced Botter

It was running when I left home. When I came back my screens where black, Logitech G15 screen still showed some information but didn't react to anything. So I powerd it off, power on again. I can hear the fans, feel the vibration from the HDDs. Thats it. No Beebs nothing on the screen.
Got Hardware from a friend. Changed the GFX card, RAM, power suply and CPU, still the same... So I guess the only thing left is the mainboard.. And that before the holydays ;_;
burners
Site Admin

U try resetting the bios batt on the mobo ?

Also dont forget to double check all connections
Deatheye
Advanced Botter

Just reseted to BIOS. As I though that didnt help either. You ever had something like this that was caused of the BIOS?

And for the cables I dont know what cable should cause that. Even if I put out all the extension cars, the CPU and the RAM, I should get error beebs. But still nothing. I really doubt it that there was a cable just falling off and I didnt notice it while changing all the components. It happend sometimes that one of the stuppid SATA Cables lost the connection, but also then I just would get a message that the system didnt found a boot partition.

I still have warranty on it, it's a new ASUS P5N32 SLI SE DELUXE. But nothing in stock right now, damn...

Oh and I have a RAID 0 System partition.. damn cu data was nice the have you... If I get an other Board as replacement I'll need to set up the tupid macros again in FF ;_;
Jelia
Pro Botter

I had FFXI running on vista since beta2 version
its a pain to install but if you have working XP machine with FFXI then its not so bad.
1. you need XP with working FFXI
2. Copy entire 4,5,10 GB or more of FFXI directory to a the VIsta temporary folder.
3. Install on Vista from CD's all 9
4. VIsta cant do update so now copy all those XP directory on top of the Vista Install.
5. Log In and it will do a File check on you Installation and will repair it.
6. Play and Have Fun
Deatheye
Advanced Botter

damn then that means u need to run it always on a XP machine and after every update u need to run updates on XP and copy the files to vista... funny : >
How lucky we are that it doesnt take some time to copy 8GB Data or so... need to be sure to use 1GB-LAN for this ^^

BTW. SHoudn't it be possible to deactivate the file check? Someone knows where the program writes the information that decides if the files need to be checked or not? Maybe the updateversion is written into the registry or so?
Jelia
Pro Botter

you don't always need to run windows XP only for the first install, since the original FFXI dlls and exe's arent compatible with Vista but the ones that came out in the past 6 months+ are good.

so after you spend hours for first install you good all the time, and never need to redo this the auto update works in later versions of POL, also if you have maybe the newest CD's it might work, but I have the original US cd's so can't test that theory.
Deatheye
Advanced Botter

oh ok thank you for the information.

Return to “FFXI General Chat”