How to lan up with a wireless client?

Feel free to talk about anything here.
ccc726040
Advanced Botter

Ok, here's the deal. I am running my home desktop off of my wireless router utilizing the wireless connection. However, I have a friend that uses his laptop that I donated to him that often connects to my router as well via a wireless card. The problem is that he is in the navy and left the card on the ship or something and doesnt really want to go back on the boat for a while. So, i dont have a cable to connect him directly to the router but i do have a cross over cable which ia m not willing to sacrifice for this cause as I know I could turn it into a regular ethernet cord. Also, my router does not translate a cross over from a regular cord as some do. So, simply using the cross over to connect him to the router isnt possible. I remember a time a about a year or 2 ago when i was able to use a cross over to connect one computer to another computer that was connected wirelessly. However, when i attempt it now, the connection between the 2 computers is good but the wireless card stops accepting packets from the router itself. So, what I need to know is how to configure it so that the one desktop is wirelessly connected to the router and the laptop is connected to the desktop via a crossover cable. I know it is a simple thing of setting up the IPs for the network cards but as said, its something that I have forgetton how to do over the year(s). If anyone could post on how to do this that would be wonderful.
evildr
!MAXIMUM RANK!

What operating system are you using on both machines? What you need to do(and it will vary slightly depending on OS) is setup the two machines for a lan with internet connection sharing. You will have to have your desktop as the 'server' or machine with the internet connection and the laptop sharing with it. If you are using xp on one machine and a non xp windows OS on the other you will need to use the xp CD or make a internet connection network disk for the non xp comp. Now I do not know how well this will work with crossover cable since It has been years since I played with one but I believe it should work. Does your wireless router not have plugs for cables also? I thought all did. If it does then you can just plug the laptop in using a normal network cable with it plugged into one slot and your desktop using a different slot wirelessly. Also if the wireless router does have slots you can always plug a switch/hub into it with network cable and plug the machines into that which would split the internet connectivity over all the ports in the hub/switch and bypass the need to reconfigure the network.
ccc726040
Advanced Botter

Okay, no but thank you. That wont work for what I am trying to do. I am not trying to get 2 computers to network together. Here is what I have. I have a Wireless 802.11 b cable modem (1 unit), 1 crossover cable, a laptop, and a desktop. My issue is that I know I can get the laptop to connect to the desktop via the cross over and share the wireless that the desktop has. The problem that I am running into is that when the wired connection via the 100 mb nic is running, the wireless nic stops taking packets from the router/modem. I had the, is same issue before and I overcame it. I dont remember the settings that I had to set up previously considering it was a long time ago. Basically i have the wireless on the desktop set with it's IP address configured automatically setting the gateway as the modem/router address. Then for the laptop, I have the IP address set manually with the DNS set to the DNS of the desktop and the modem/router. However, i was setting the gateway to the desktops IP. I dont know what I am doing wrong but the wireless stops working thus cancelling the net connectivity on the desktop when i activate the 100 mb adapter. However, when this happens, both the latop and the desktop talk to each other perfectly as they should the only issue is that neither of them can access the net.
evildr
!MAXIMUM RANK!

Ok I've got a better idea of you're setup now but havea question. Are you sure you can run two seperate nic's at the same time on the same machine? It sounds like as soon as the wired nic is activated the computer is defaulting to it where up until that point it was defaulted to the wireless. I've never tried running more then one nic on a single machine simultaneously but assumed you wouldn't be able to. I always used switchs/routers interconnected to expand the network. GL though and hope you get it runnin.
ccc726040
Advanced Botter

Finally! There is a God. Oh, by the way, yes, you can run unlimited nics on a machineas long as the IPs, dns, gateways, and subnets are setup right. Finally I got these 2 connections to work. The problem is now that though i can still access the net on the desktop as well as make the laptop and the desktop talk to each other like they were lovers, I can't get the laptop connected to the net. I know its a simple matter of turning on ICS and all but if i do that, it redirects the gateway of the second nic to the same gateway as the wireless nic thus disabling the net connection...so...Still waiting guys...Thanks ahead

Return to “Lounge”